Thursday 19 June 2014

Wheelsucker Blog - Week Six


A big thank you to everyone who has visited my Just Giving site and donated money. Please continue to spread the word to raise as much money as possible for such a worthy cause. http://www.justgiving.com/Graham-Young-cycles-USA


Monday 16th June 2014
Ukiah, Oregon. 95 miles. Average speed 10.8mph. Left Walla Walla at 7am. Lots of up hill with a strong headwind hitting me all day. Had some food in a place called Pendleton and a ice cream at Pilot Rock. Then had a 4,270ft climb at the end of the day. Can't describe the hotel, absolute rubbish in the middle of a mountain range.






Ukiah, Oregon
     
Tuesday 17th June 2014
Mount Vernon, Oregon. 71 miles. Average speed 11.7mph. Left Ukiah at 7am. Been raining most of the night, but eased off enough for me to go. Four mountain climbs to do today, the highest at 5,000ft. Had breakfast at Long Creek. Then it became very, very cold and freezing rain. Just to finish things off a few flakes of snow. Wouldn't like to be here in the winter!



Wednesday 18th June 2014
Mitchell, Oregon. 61 miles. Average speed 11.9mph. Left Mount Vernon at 8am. Had breakfast there to be on the safe side. Surprisingly thermal top and shorts after yesterday's freezing temperatures and hardly any wind! Had a ice cream at Daysville. Then cycled through a fantastic gorge and then a 4,000ft climb and descent to finish with. Tell Martin his wheels are doing the business.



Thursday 19th June 2014
Sisters, Oregon. 88 miles. Average speed 12.5mph. Left Mitchell at 6.15am. Thermal top and shorts. Sunny but quite chilly. Started climbing straight away up to the Ochoco Pass 4,722ft. Had breakfast at Prineville and found a really nice motel. Picture shows the snow capped Cascade Mountains which I will cross tomorrow.



Snow capped Cascade Mountains


Friday 20th June 2014
Lebanon, Oregon. 87 miles. Average speed 12.7mph. Warmish when I left, thermal top and shorts. At top of first climb (4,236ft) started to get cold. Then freezing rain. After last mountain was an 11 mile descent. I was absolutely freezing cold. Had to stop about six times. Nowhere to get food either, had to wait to Sweet Home and a Big Double Cheese Burger at Mac's. Then an easy ride to Lebanon. I had to show you all this picture of Dave and Jeanne. They came to see me off on the 12th May. They really looked after me when I was in Danvers, and without their friendship and kindness this dream journey of mine would not have happened. From Dave picking me up from the airport and Jeanne taking me down Whispering Sands' to dip my feet in the Atlantic the night before the Grand Depart, a big thank you. Fingers crossed I will see the Pacific Ocean tomorrow!




Jeanne, me and Dave

Saturday 21st June 2014
Left Lebanon at 7.15am. 75 miles. Av 12.8mph. Slightly coldish, thermal top and shorts. Didn't realise it was going to be so hilly. Four big 500ft climbs. Had something to eat at Toledo. Took picture of Newport sign at top of wooded climb, then descended round a corner and there was the Pacific Ocean in the distance. Unbelievable sight after 41 days! Rode straight down to sea to take in the moment and then looked for a hotel. Booked in and rode straight back and got another cyclist to take a picture of me. Then he took me to the local bike shop where I booked in the bike in to have a clean-up round the rear mech. Still can't believe it. So long on the road. All those days of suffering into that horrendous headwind and freezing temperatures on those 5,000ft climbs, and the freezing cold rain. All I can think of now is my family and friends, and all the people who kindly donated to St Wilfrid's Hospice. Thank you. But one of proudest things is that I have worn the Bognor Regis Cycling Club jersey coast to coast. It's been a privilege to wear the jersey and represent the club.
Me at the Pacific Ocean

Sunday 22nd June 2014
Rest day in Newport, Oregon. Paul and Stef rang me at my hotel. It was good to hear their voices and the fact that they will be flying out to Las Vegas on 28 June. Had a long walk down beside sea towards the harbour and took this picture of the bridge I will be crossing on Highway 101 on Tuesday. The harbour is a working fishing port and also does trips out to sea for whale watching. Then had some lunch in a cafe overlooking the harbour and then walked back to the hotel to watch the USA v Portugal game.

2 comments:

  1. Graham... You are riding an Amazing accomplishment.. Proud to be friends. Pacific Ocean Dip coming up! Dave and Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Graham on a brilliant achievement. BRCC members are following avidly. Now to get back! Hope for some tailwinds for you.

    ReplyDelete