Tuesday 24 June 2014

Wheelsucker Blog - Week Seven


A big thank you to everyone who has visited my Just Giving site and donated money. Please continue to spread the word to raise as much money as possible for such a worthy cause. http://www.justgiving.com/Graham-Young-cycles-USA

Sunday 29th June

Willits, California. 74 miles. Average speed 12.1mph. Left Garberville 7am. Thermal top and shorts with dark clouds lurking over head. Had to start climbing straight away so changed to long sleeved top. Lots of big hills one after another. Late breakfast at Laytonville and then it really started to get hot. Had a McD's when I got to Willits and met a English guy who now runs his own business in the area. My clothes are all getting a bit smelly and damp after all that rain so decided to stay in a posher Best Western Hotel, they usually have a laundry room. Got all my clothes washed and dried, including my shoes! Picture shows one of the big climbs that kept coming at me.



Saturday 28th June
Garberville, California. 80 miles. Average speed 13.4mph. Left Arcata at 7.30am. Thermal top and shorts. Normal roads for a change, a few hills but only 500ft (like Goodwood). Started to warm up. Had a snack at Rio Del and afterwards was able to bare my arms, and the wind was in my favour. Complete contrast to the other day when I was wearing full wet gear, overshoes and leggings! Wifi not very good so that why there was no update on my website. Picture shows the Main Street in Garberville with my motel on the left.





Monday 23rd June 2014


Newport, Oregon. Another rest day. Took bike to local bike shop. Gave the rear mech, cassette, chain and chain rings a good clean. The mist came in off the sea but cleared up in the afternoon. Walked down to the harbour for some lunch then came back to the hotel to prepare for tomorrow's depart. Another picture of the Pacific Ocean.


 


Pacific Ocean

Tuesday 24th June
Coos Bay, Oregon. 99 miles. Average speed 12.8mph. Left Newport about 6.15am. Thermal top and shorts. Had to climb over that bridge more less straight away, when my legs weren't ready. Little bit of mist coming off the sea made it little bit overcast. The road follows close to the sea at the beginning and then becomes quite hilly, and goes into the forests. The wind was across me today, perhaps tomorrow it be in my favour. Passed quite a few cyclists going in my direction but they didn't seem to want to talk much. Turned out a nice day in the end and bared my arms for the first time in a while. Picture shows how rugged and hilly the coast line is and can you see the lighthouse at the far end of the bay.



Rugged and hilly cost line with lighthouse in the bay

Wednesday 25th June
Brookings, Oregon. 108 miles. Average speed 12.3mph. Left Coos Bay at 6.15am. Dull and misty at first then started raining after about 7 miles, and kept raining all day. Big long hills kept coming at me all day, including Humbug Mountain at 1756ft. Had late breakfast at Port Orford and a pizza at Gold Beach. The big long hills and the rain made it a hard day in the saddle, and took me 10 hours. Picture shows the mist and rain, and bridge I crossed into Gold Beach.



Thursday 26th June
Brookings, Oregon. Got up this morning and it was still pouring with rain, it had been yesterday and through the night. Decided to have a rest day, let everything dry out and hope the weather improves slightly for tomorrow. It actually stopped raining at mid day when I went to get some lunch. Walking back to the motel I met Dean and Katy, the only cyclists I met on the road yesterday. They had camped out last night in all that pouring rain, respect! Researching motels along the coast on Highway 1 revealed there aren't very many in places I want to stop. So I have decided to use Highway 101 where there are more options. Whatever the weather I will ride to tomorrow. Picture shows the motel I have been staying in.




Friday 27th June
Arcata, California. 105 miles. Average speed 11.9mph. Left Brookings at 6am in the pouring rain and mist. Full wet weather gear which made you feel hot and uncomfortable. After about 7 miles crossed the State Line into California, where's the sun! Rode through big redwoods forests. The climbs were big, six 1500ft climbs, which made it very tough going. Had late breakfast at Klamath, which was in a log cabin run by Native Americans. Then had a snack at a place called Trinidad, came out and it stopped raining, only 8 miles to go though. Paul and Stef are flying out to Las Vegas on Saturday (have a safe flight) and we will be meeting up in Fallon on 6 July. It will be really emotional to see them after all this time. Can't wait.






1 comment:

  1. What you are doing is truly remarkable, Graham, and we SO admire you!
    With grateful thanks for supporting St Wilfrid's Hospice in such an inspirational way, Avril

    ReplyDelete