Tuesday 27 May 2014

Wheelsucker Blog - Week Two



Week Two

Monday 19th May 2014
Able to ride much faster today. Reached Tobermory late afternoon. Beautiful little place. Sunny afternoon and had fish and chips by the harbour. 90 miles. Average speed 13.8mph. Only downside was that the previous night yahoo cut my email link. Thanks to my brother-in-law Stan, I was reconnected 23rd May.


Ferry leaving Tobermory


Tuesday 20th May 2014
Rest day. Took the ferry across Lake Huron from Tobermory to South Baymouth. Met a lovely couple called Dennis and Robyn who were driving cross country to Vancouver. It was cold and wet when I arrived. Found a motel and had a good feed up in the evening.

Ferry terminal at South Baymouth
Wednesday 21st May 2014
Was going to stay in a town called Espanola. All the motels were full. Decided to carry on riding and went onto Highway 17, the most dangerous road I have ever ridden on. Every motel was fully booked so I kept riding until I found one, thank goodness, in a small place called Spanish. 104 miles. Average speed 12.7mph.

Pennisula riding out of South Baymouth

Thursday 22nd May 2014
This Highway 17 is so dangerous I decided to make a big push to Sault Ste Marie and get back into USA. The big lorries pushed me off the road three times. Usually I ride inside the white line at the side of the road but this was broken up and very narrow. The road had massive long climbs and the wind was very strong and cold. Went past a sign that said 9C. Had to cross a massive bridge which takes you over Lake Huron and Superior into the USA. I was running on empty, so decided to find a posh hotel and give myself some TLC. I am two days ahead of schedule so decided to have a rest day tomorrow. 128 miles. Average speed 11.8mph.


Bridge linking the two countries
  
Friday 23rd May 2014
Rest day in Sault Ste Marie. The day I got my email back. Picture shows the Soo Lock Gates behind my posh hotel.


Soo Lock Gates

Saturday 24th May 2014
Left at 6am. Quite chilly. Thermal top, gloves and shorts. Roads were a lot smoother and the hills where easier. Was able to ride at a steady pace. 88 miles. Average speed 14.2mph. Decided to stay at Seney. A nice looking motel. Picture shows that I am in Native American country.
 
Native American Country


Sunday 25th May 2014
Three Lakes, Michigan. Left at 5.30am. Long, long steady climbs. Temperatures in the 80's. Found nice little motel by a lake. 119 miles. Average speed 13mph. Not able to send picture for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment